Officials from the White House have proposed a new infrastructure and job-creation package that reduces the cost from $2.25 trillion to $1.7 trillion.
The White House’s proposal matches the Republicans’ $65 billion spending proposal for broadband, and reduces President Joe Biden’s previous spending level on roads, bridges and other major projects by $39 billion, CNN reported.
The revised budget eliminates proposed spending on manufacturing, research and development, and the supply chain.
The memo released on Friday contains a segment outlining questions about investments that are either missing or underfunded in the Republican budget, such as power sector investments and tax credits; funds to plug oil and gas wells and clean up abandoned mines; renovation funding and tax credits; and financing for veterans’ hospital upgrades and home care extension.
Republicans, who have offered their own $568 billion investment plan, have so far objected to the bid.
“There continue to be vast differences between the White House and Senate Republicans when it comes to the definition of infrastructure, the magnitude of proposed spending, and how to pay for it,” Kelley Moore, communications director for Sen. Shelley Moore Capito, R-W.Va., said. “Based on today’s meeting, the groups seem further apart after two meetings with White House staff than they were after one meeting with President Biden.”
According to White House officials on Saturday, the counteroffer was an effort to pursue bipartisan common ground.
“The ball is now in their court to respond with a good faith counter-offer,” said Andrew Bates, deputy press secretary at the White House.