The ministry is still looking for 500 Melbourne newcomers for isolation.

Spread the love

Contact tracers are contacting 500 recent migrants from Melbourne to inform them that they must isolate and get tested for Covid-19.

 

Ministry of health

Photo: RNZ / Richard Tindiller

The Ministry of Health emailed 5000 persons who had arrived in New Zealand since 20 May yesterday, amid mounting worry about the Melbourne epidemic and the vast number of places of interest.

The 500 persons who could not be reached through email will be contacted through phone call and text message.

Because of the situation in Melbourne and seasonal increases in cold and flu symptoms, Auckland testing centers were busier than normal today.

According to the northern area health coordination center, two teams swabbed persons at the Balmoral testing center.

At one point, there were about 60 cars in the queue and a 45-minute wait time.

Health officials said there was enough testing capacity and it could be ramped up if demand increased significantly.

READ ALSO:  Māori receive fewer prescriptions for common diabetes drug - study

In the testing queue at Balmoral this afternoon, Tom had arrived in Auckland on Sunday from Melbourne and received an email from the Ministry of Health this morning telling him he needed to isolate and get a test.

“There would be nothing worse than not to do it, then find out you have actually been carrying it with you and it breaks out again,” he said.

“Coming from Melbourne, I know what it is like to be shut up for six months – it’s what happened to us last year.”

It was not the first time Tom had been caught up in an outbreak in recent weeks.

“I was in Sydney earlier in the year when I went through Melbourne airport – same thing. It seems to follow me.”

Steph, who had returned home for a three-week visit, was also in her car waiting to get a Covid-19 test after finding out about the new requirements from a friend last night.

READ ALSO:  Questions hang over National MPs still teetering in the balance

“With the situation in Melbourne, I have not been to any of the hot spot areas. I understand where the fear is, but it is – yes – a very dramatic change of events in a very short period of time,” she said.

“I will stay at home until I get a negative test, that is what it looks like from the section 70 [order, requiring recent arrivals from Melbourne to isolate and get tested]. Hopefully the results come back quick,” Steph said.

University of Otago epidemiologist Michael Baker said the government was doing the right thing by requiring those people to isolate and get tested.

“The level of risk is not zero and it is very hard to put a figure on it. We know it is very low, but it is there and I think this will be reassuring to have those people self-isolate and be tested.”

Baker said the Melbourne outbreak underscored the importance of everyone remaining vigilant.

READ ALSO:  Covid-19 update: Seven new imported cases of Covid-19

“This is a reminder of course the number one measure New Zealanders can take is if you have cold and flu symptoms, stay at home and get tested.”

 144 

Leave a Reply