The Los Angeles Dodgers cancelled Trevor Bauer’s bobblehead night on August 19 and withdrew his goods from their stores as part of MLB’s enquiry into sexual assault allegations levelled against the pitcher.
On Wednesday, a Dodgers representative informed the Orange County Register, ESPN, and The Athletic that the organisation “did not feel it was appropriate” to continue with the bobblehead promotion and memorabilia for Bauer “while investigations continue by MLB and the Pasadena Police Department.”
Bauer has rejected the claims in comments issued by his representatives. Last Friday, MLB placed the reigning National League Cy Young Award winner on a seven-day administrative leave.
Dave Roberts, manager of the Los Angeles Dodgers, told reporters earlier this week that he does not anticipate Bauer to return immediately after his vacation time expires on Friday.
Bauer did not file an appeal against the MLB’s decision. MLB may extend the leave if the players union agrees. Last Monday, the woman who accused Bauer of assault filed a temporary domestic violence restraining order against him in Los Angeles County Superior Court.
No criminal charges have been filed against Bauer. His representatives told ESPN that they plan to deny the allegations at a hearing scheduled July 23.
The Dodgers star led MLB in strikeouts and innings pitched when his paid leave started. Bauer, 30, joined the Dodgers in free agency last off-season. He is in the first season of a three-year, $102 million contract.