Officials reported Sunday that the death toll from last month’s condominium tower collapse in Surfside, Fla., has increased to 90.
Miami-Dade County Mayor Daniella Levine Cava announced at a press conference Sunday morning that four bodies were discovered since the last briefing from officials Saturday night and that a total of 217 people have been accounted for and 31 others remain “potentially unaccounted for” for a total of 121 listed as dead or unaccounted for. At one time, the figure was 163 from the collapse that occurred June 24.
Freddy Ramirez, Miami-Dade’s police director said of the 31 unaccounted for, 26 have case numbers, indicating officials are confident they were in the tower at Champlain Towers South when it collapsed and did not escape.
“There are five that have no support system behind them,” said Ramirez. “We’re not sure if they’re missing people or not, because no one is reporting them.”
Miami-Dade police on Sunday identified 10 more victims whose remains had been found in the rubble, including three children.
Lorenzo De Oliveira Leone, 5; Anna Sophia Pettengill Lopez Moreira, 6; Alexia Maria Pettengill Lopez Moreira, 9; Luis Sadovnic, 28; Edgar Gonzalez, 42; Alfredo Leone, 48; Maria Gabriela Camou Font, 64; Julio Cesar Velasquez, 66; Maria Torre, 76; and Richard Augustine, 77 were among the victims.
As search operations proceeded, Miami-Dade Fire Chief Alan Cominsky said Sunday that workers had begun to reach automobiles in the tower’s parking lot.
The Israeli Urban Search and Rescue Task Force returned home on Saturday after aiding Miami-Dade Fire Rescue and other foreign search and rescue teams in their operations.
Officials thanked the Israeli team in a ceremony Saturday night, where Cava presented the members with the key to the county.
“In recognition of your unrelenting dedication, compassionate service commitment to the victims and survivors of the Surfside tragedy,” she said.
Cominsky also made the Israeli team official by presenting them with patches commemorating their efforts from Miami-Dade Fire Rescue and Florida Division of Emergency Management Director Kevin Guthrie.
On Saturday, teams looking for and retrieving remains were able to enter parts of the rubble that they had previously been unable to reach, resulting in the finding of additional dead.
They at the site switched from rescue to recovery work on Wednesday, after Cava stated that officials had “truly exhausted every option available to us in the search and rescue mission” with no evidence of survivors visible over two weeks after the collapse.