South Australia is joining New South Wales and Northern Territory in opening its borders to New Zealanders.
The state’s Police Commissioner, Grant Stevens, has announced the move with immediate effect.
The decision was made at a meeting of the state’s Transition Committee this morning.
It was revealed yesterday that five New Zealand travellers arrived unexpectedly at Adelaide Airport on Sunday and were put into hotel quarantine at their own expense.
Commissioner Stevens has since revealed there were in fact 12 recent arrivals from New Zealand who were already in hotel quarantine in South Australia, and all would be let out.
Stevens said the state was now happy to receive direct flights from New Zealand.
He said the South Australian authorities had been in direct contact with New Zealand authorities and there was now a “level of comfort” that allowed the Transition Committee to make its decision.
He said it was unfortunate that some travellers had been inconvenienced for a short period of time.