Forecasted severe weather is moving south onto the upper North Island today, and it’s predicted to bring with it heavy rain and gales.
MetService has issued severe weather warnings as the weather approaches.
It said the heaviest rain was likely in Northland and Coromandel Peninsula and possible in Auckland, Gisborne and parts of the Bay of Plenty.
Gale easterlies were likely to affect Northland, Auckland, Coromandel Peninsula and northern Waikato and a severe weather watch was in place.
“Strong winds have the potential to damage trees and power lines, lift roofs and make driving hazardous, especially for high sided vehicles. Please note, that these areas have not experienced strong winds from this direction for an extended period of time and are advised to make sure that items and structures are secure,” MetService’s severe weather warning said.
“Heavy rain may cause streams and rivers to rise rapidly. Surface flooding and slips are also possible and driving conditions may be hazardous.”
MetService said in its severe weather outlook: “On Tuesday, the low and the ridge should move away to the southeast allowing a west to northwest flow to develop over the country.
“On Wednesday a broad low pressure system is forecast to approach New Zealand from the Tasman Sea and slowly move over the country on Thursday bringing rain and strong winds to many places.”
Heavy Rain Warning
- Northland, especially in eastern areas: Periods of heavy rain. Expect 100-130mm of rain to accumulate, with peak rates of 20 to 25 mm/ from 9am Sunday-9am Monday.
- Coromandel Peninsula: Rain is expected to become heavier again from afternoon. Expect 120-160mm of rain to accumulate, with peak rates of 20 to 25 mm/h from 1pm Sunday to 6pm Monday.
Heavy Rain Watch
- Auckland, especially north of the city and about Great Barrier Island and the Hunua Range: Periods of heavy rain. Rainfall amounts may approach warning criteria from 3pm Sunday to 11am Monday
- Western Bay of Plenty about the Kaimai Range: Periods of heavy rain. Rainfall amounts may approach warning criteria from 1am to 9pm Monday.
- Gisborne, mainly north of Tolaga Bay and also eastern ranges of Bay of Plenty: Periods of heavy rain. Rainfall amounts may approach warning criteria. From 2am to 11pm Monday.
Strong Wind Watch
- Northland: Easterly winds may approach severe gale in exposed places at times from 6pm Sunday to 6am Monday.
- Auckland, Coromandel Peninsula and Waikato north of Huntly: Easterly winds may approach severe gale in exposed places at times from 8pm Sunday to 2pm Monday. Winds should ease in Auckland late Monday morning and Coromandel Peninsula/northern Waikato early afternoon.
Join Geezgo for free. Use Geezgo\’s end-to-end encrypted Chat with your Closenets (friends, relatives, colleague etc) in personalized ways.>>