Probe into claim that Blatter paid for Warner’s jet is dropped

Spread the love
Jack Warner has been banned from football and is the subject of an investigation by US prosecutors

Swiss prosecutors said Thursday they had dropped an investigation into ailing former FIFA president Sepp Blatter, accused of defrauding world football’s governing body by paying for a private jet used by the now-banned Jack Warner.

Prosecutors alleged Blatter paid the $365,000 (300,000-euro) bill for the jet that Warner, the Trinidadian who served as a FIFA vice-president during Blatter’s 17-reign, used in 2007.

Warner has since been banned from football and indicted by US prosecutors for charges related to corruption.

Swiss prosecutor Thomas Hildbrand abandoned the probe into Blatter this month, the Public Prosecutor’s Office (MPC) said.

The MPC gave no reasons for the decision, which follows the dropping of an investigation into Blatter in May last year related to FIFA’s awarding of TV rights to the Caribbean Football Union, then presided by Warner.

Blatter, 84, has been seriously ill in hospital in recent weeks. He was placed in an artificial coma for a week but has now left intensive care, his daughter Corinne Blatter said in an interview with Swiss media group CH-Media to appear on Friday.

READ ALSO:  Bundesliga footballers join LeBron and Jordan in US protest

He is still the subject of three investigations, principally one focusing on the accusation that he made an undocumented payment of two million Swiss francs ($2.26 million, 1.8 million euros) to then-UEFA president Michel Platini in 2011.

 258 

RECOMMENDED READ:
Tiger Woods badly hurt in car crash, expected to survive

Golfing champion  Tiger Woods was hospitalized in Los Angeles on Tuesday with multiple injuries suffered when his car veered off Read more

Parker and Fa’s camps try to create hype in build up to fight

What do you do when, a few days from what has been described (probably rightly) by the promoter and main Read more

Game, set and match for Budge

ASB Classic tournament director Karl Budge has confirmed that he will be stepping down from his current role at the Read more

Leave a Reply