Momeen Rezaei, secretary of the Expediency Discernment Council, which reports directly to the supreme leader, told Iran’s Mehr News on Wednesday that the country’s stability is in desperate need of a massive overhaul.
“The country has been widely exposed to security violations, and the example is that in less than a year, three security incidents have occurred: two explosions and one assassination,” said Rezaei.
The two explosions occurred at the Natanz nuclear plant, the first in July, destroying approximately three-fourths of the above-ground centrifuge assembly building, and the second on Sunday night, destroying the site’s power grid and backup infrastructure, as well as a significant number of centrifuges. In November, the director of Iran’s nuclear programme, Mohsen Fakhrizadeh, was assassinated.
“Before this, documents from our entire nuclear [archive] have been stolen, and before that, a few suspicious drones came and did some work,” Rezaei added.
When the Mossad smuggled the nuclear archive out of Iran in 2018, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu presented evidence that the Islamic Republic was attempting to develop a nuclear bomb, Iran denied it. Abbas Araghchi, Iran’s nuclear negotiator, described it as“a very childish and even a ridiculous play.” Mohammad Marandi, one of Iran’s negotiators in the 2015 nuclear deal, said Israel had “fabricated evidence.”
Rezaei said this week’s attack on Natanz was “a bad event in terms of prestige,” and that “they did it to break our resistance in diplomacy.”
Fereydoon Abbasi-Davani, former head of Iran’s Atomic Energy Organization, said earlier this week that Sunday’s attack damaged thousands of centrifuges. “The design of the enemy was very beautiful,” he said.