Ecuador will pardon thousands of people after the worst prison riot in history kills 118 people.

Spread the love

An official said on Friday that Ecuador is planning to pardon up to 2,000 inmates in order to relieve overcrowding in its detention centres after 118 inmates died and 79 were injured in the country’s worst-ever prison riot earlier this week.

In the aftermath of the clashes on Tuesday at the Penitenciaria del Litoral in the southern city of Guayaquil, Bolivar Garzon, the director of the South American country’s SNAI prison authority, said the government aimed to prioritise the elderly, women, and prisoners with disabilities and terminal illnesses.

Garzon added that the country’s prisons currently house 39,000 inmates.

Garzon said the riot, the latest in a wave of prison violence in the Andean country, was sparked by “a battle for control by organized crime groups.” Riots left 79 dead in February and 22 in July of this year.

Officials say gangs have alliances with transnational criminal groups and are battling over drug trafficking routes.

READ ALSO:  France and Turkey at odds as Karabakh fighting divides NATO allies

Ecuador has sent 3,600 police and military reinforcements to prisons across the country to maintain order, Interior Minister Alexandra Vela told reporters on Friday. She added that forensic units had identified 41 of the victims, and had delivered the bodies of 21 of the victims to their families.

Dozens of inmates’ relatives have gathered outside a Guayaquil morgue seeking information about their loved ones. Authorities said at least six victims were decapitated.

Eduardo Montes, 60, was awaiting news of his 25-year-old brother Vicente Montes, who is due to be released in one month.

“They sent us a photo where you can see the head of one victim, and we believe it is my brother, but we do not know if he is really dead or if he is alive,” Montes said. “I have hope that he is alive and that they release him.”

 347 

Leave a Reply