Cyclone Shaheen wreaks havoc on Oman, killing three people.

Spread the love

At least three people were killed when Tropical Cyclone Shaheen slammed into Oman on Sunday with ferocious winds and heavy rain, flooding streets, forcing evacuations from coastal areas, and delaying flights to and from the capital, Muscat.

According to the state news agency, as the cyclone approached, a child who had been swept away by water was discovered dead, and another person was missing. According to the state news agency, two Asian workers were killed when a hill collapsed on their housing area in an industrial zone.

When its eye crossed land, the cyclone was carrying winds of between 120 and 150 km per hour (75-93 mph), Omani authorities said. It was throwing up waves of up to 10 metres (32 feet).

Video footage from Omani broadcasters showed vehicles submerged as people tried to make their way through muddy brown floodwater.

Part of the eyewall of the storm, where the most severe weather occurs, had entered Al Batinah South governorate, the state news agency said. The eye also entered between the states of Musanah and Suwaiq.

Massive rainfall of as much as 500 cm (20 inches) was expected in some areas, potentially causing flash floods.

READ ALSO:  Israel raises alert level in delegations abroad

Cyclones steadily lose their power once they stop travelling over ocean waters and Shaheen was downgraded to a tropical storm after it had hit land, the local meteorology service said in a tweet.

Sea waves are seen intensifying off the beach of a local hotel, as Salalah Port is seen behind in Salalah, Oman, October 11, 2018. REUTERS/Stringer

The national emergency committee said the power supply would be cut in al-Qurm, east of the capital, to avoid accidents. More than 2,700 people were put up in emergency shelters.

Most of the oil-exporting country’s five million people live in and around Muscat. Authorities said roads in the capital would be open only to vehicles on emergency and humanitarian journeys until the storm dies down.

A wooden ship sank at Sultan Qaboos Port and its crew was rescued, said the National Committee for Emergency Management in a tweet.

PRECAUTIONS IN UAE, SAUDI ARABIA

In the United Arab Emirates, authorities said precautionary measures were being taken. Police officials were moving to ensure safety by conducting security patrols near beaches and valleys where torrential rains were expected.

READ ALSO:  U.N. raises $7.7 billion for Syrians beset by war and COVID-19

Government and private sector employees in the city of Al Ain on the border with Oman have been urged to work remotely on Monday and authorities called on residents to avoid leaving home except for emergencies, the Abu Dhabi Government Media Office said.

“Authorities are working proactively around the clock to evaluate residential units in expected affected areas and transport families to safe locations until it is safe to return,” it said.

Saudi Arabia’s civil defence authorities called for caution in several regions from Monday to Friday in expectation of high winds and possible flooding, the state news agency reported.

 658 

Leave a Reply