After seven years, a Nigerian schoolgirl kidnapped by Boko Haram has been released.

Spread the love

One of the schoolgirls who was among the the first to be released meets Nigeria President Mohammadu Buhari in May 2016. Photo: AFP

Borno state’s governor says a girl kidnapped from the Nigerian town of Chibok has been liberated and reunited with her parents, seven years after Boko Haram extremists kidnapped her and more than 200 of her classmates.

The raid on the town’s school one night in April 2014 generated an international outrage and a viral social media movement with the hashtag #bringbackourgirls.

Governor Babagana Zulum announced on Saturday that the girl and someone she said she married while imprisoned surrendered to the military 10 days ago.

Zulum stated that in the period since, government officials had been able to identify her and contact her parents.

Initially, 270 girls were kidnapped by the Islamist group, but 82 were released in 2017 after mediation, and another 24 were released or discovered.

READ ALSO:  Buhari’s Independence Day nationwide broadcast (Full text)

 

An handout picture released by the PGDBA&HND Mass Communication shows Nigeria's President Muhammadu Buhari (C) sitting among the 82 rescued Chibok girls during a reception ceremony at the Presidential Villa in Abuja, on May 7, 2017.

A government reception for the 82 girls released in 2017. Photo: AFP

A few more have escaped or been freed, but the extremist organisation is still believed to be holding around 113 of the girls.

Zulum stated that reconciling the girl with her relatives sparked optimism that other captives would be found.

He stated that the girl would be given psychological and medical treatment as part of a government rehabilitation programme.

Bandits kidnapped schoolchildren from a boarding school in Kaduna state last month, the 10th mass school kidnapping in northern Nigeria since December, with over 1000 students stolen.

– Reuters

 401 

Leave a Reply