After four weeks in the hospital, a leading Cuban dissident was released.

Spread the love

Luis Manuel Otero Alcantara, a leading Cuban dissident, was released from hospital on Monday, four weeks after authorities stopped his hunger strike and hospitalized the “artivist.”

The General Calixto Garcia hospital in Havana said that its therapy had allowed the 33-year-old artist to fully recover from his diagnosis of “voluntary starvation,” and that all of his clinical and physiological markers were now within normal range.

“I’m really happy and relieved, he’s at his family home now at least,” his friend and fellow activist Iris Ruiz said. “There was so much uncertainty before.”

Reuters was unable to immediately reach Otero Alcantara, who is the head of the San Isidro Movement, a group of a few dozen artists, writers and activists that has protested restrictions in Cuba on civil liberties for the last few years, often through provocative performances.

Otero Alcantara had been staging a hunger and thirst strike to protest a raid on his home when authorities took him to hospital. The Cuban health department said at the time that doctors found no sign of malnutrition and that he was in stable condition.

READ ALSO:  U.S. caps charter flights to Cuba at 3,600 per year: agency

Supporters questioned why Otero Alcantara had been kept in hospital and incommunicado, adding that police had blocked them from visiting him. Videos of him in hospital posted online by pro government accounts, including one in which he appeared thinner and hunched over, fueled their fears.

Since the San Isidro Movement sparked a rare protest in front of the Culture Ministry in November, authorities have taken to state-run media to denounce its members and allies as agitators working with the United States to destabilize the government as Cuba’s economy goes through its worst crisis in decades. The movement denies the charges.

Ten days ago, Amnesty International named Otero Alcantara a “prisoner of conscience,” saying state security appeared to have him under supervision and incommunicado at the hospital.

The hospital said in its statement that the artist had reiterated many times his gratitude toward the medical staff that “respected his will” both regarding his treatment and the length of his stay.

READ ALSO:  Cubans celebrate no local transmission of COVID-19 for first time in four months



Leave a Reply