After a year, North and South Korea have restored their severed hotlines.

Spread the love

North Korea cut down hotlines in June of last year, restoring communications between the two Koreas in a move both sides described as a positive start towards repairing a strained relationship.

As a consequence of contact between North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and South Korean President Moon Jae-in, communication lines between government liaisons and both countries’ militaries were restored at 10 a.m. on Tuesday, according to South Korean presidential spokesperson Park Soo-hyun.

“The two leaders have exchanged personal letters several times since April to communicate about the issue of restoring relations between the two Koreas, and in the process, they agreed to restore the communication lines that had been cut off,” Park said in a statement.

“The restoration of the inter-Korean hotline is expected to have a positive effect on the improvement and development of inter-Korean relations in the future,” he said.

North Korea acknowledged the resumption of the hotlines on Tuesday with a report in state-run media.

READ ALSO:  Images suggest North Korea may be preparing launch of submarine missile -think tank

“Now, the whole Korean nation desires to see the [N]orth-[S]outh relations recovered from setback and stagnation as early as possible,” Korean Central News Agency reported.

The two leaders agreed “to make a big stride in recovering the mutual trust promoting reconciliation by restoring the cutoff inter-Korean communication liaison lines through the recent several exchanges of personal letters,” the report said.

South Korea’s unification ministry announced that it successfully completed a pair of calls on the hotline and said that both sides agreed to resume daily calls at 9 a.m. and 5 p.m.

“We hope that communications between the two sides never be severed again, and look forward to discussing various pending issues and fulfilling previous inter-Korean agreements,” the ministry said in a statement.

The defense ministry of South Korea also confirmed it completed a call to its North Korean counterpart on Tuesday morning after some initial technical difficulties.

The two sides agreed to resume calls twice a day, the ministry said in a statement. It added that the communications lines will “substantially contribute to the settling of military tensions” on the peninsula.

READ ALSO:  India arrests South Korean CEO, 11 others for gas leak at LG Polymers

The move comes more than a year after North Korea cut off all communications and destroyed a shared liaison office located in its border city of Kaesong, in response to North Korean defectors sending information leaflets and cash across the border via balloons.

Since then, relations between the two Koreas have been at a low ebb, with the North publicly rejecting South Korean calls for cooperation. Since a February 2019 meeting between then-President Donald Trump and Kim concluded without an accord, Pyongyang and Washington have been at odds in nuclear negotiations.

Moon and Kim began communicating in April, on the third anniversary of their summit at Panmunjom, a truce settlement within the DMZ, Park said during a press conference.

In their correspondence, Moon and Kim agreed that “prompt restoration of relations and trust is necessary” to achieve peace on the Korean Peninsula and discussed issues such as the coronavirus pandemic, the spokesman said.

Park added that a future face-to-face or video summit was not discussed.

 312 

Leave a Reply