According to a South Korean press report, South Korean President Moon Jae-in may seek changes to upcoming joint military exercises with the United States.
Meanwhile, South Korea’s spy agency has expressed concern about possible North Korean provocations.
According to local news service MoneyToday, a presidential Blue House official told reporters Wednesday that the president ordered a “careful consultation” regarding the planned drills.
South Korean Defense Minister Suh Wook said he was in discussions with local health authorities and U.S. officials to address COVID-19 concerns, the report said. On Tuesday, South Korean authorities confirmed two cases of the Delta Plus COVID-19 variant.
Seoul’s military authorities announced on Tuesday that the two militaries have agreed to proceed with Crisis Management Staff Training, which is set to begin on August 10 and end on August 13. From August 16 to 26, a joint Combined Command Post Training will be held.
According to MoneyToday, a Blue House source stated that the command post training will be done through computer simulations.
Concerns have grown in the South that North Korea may re-intensify tensions after re-establishing a military communication hotline.
North Korean state media reported last week that Kim was dissatisfied with the exercises.
“The hostile forces are intensifying their fanatical and relentless warfare exercises for aggression, and they are systematically expanding their ability to preempt our country and build armaments,” Kim said.
According to News 1, South Korea’s spy agency stated Tuesday before Seoul’s National Assembly Intelligence Committee that the joint exercises could result in a “military provocation.”
According to KCNA on Sunday, Kim stated that the exercises would be a “unwanted prelude.”