Alaska police officer dies from eye surgery complications after shooting - Kogonuso


Home Top Ad

Post Top Ad

Oct 29, 2016

Alaska police officer dies from eye surgery complications after shooting

Daniel UriaImage result for Alaska police officer dies from eye surgery complications after shooting

An Alaska police officer died due to complications from an eye surgery two weeks after being shot six times in the line of duty, police said.
Sgt. Allen Brandt, 34, died following surgery on his left eye in Anchorage on Thursday after he experienced complications and his condition "continued to deteriorate through the day," as he was unable to recover, Deputy Chief Brad Johnson told Alaska Dispatch News.
"Fairbanks lost a hero today," Johnson said. "I'm sorry to have to let you know that earlier this afternoon Sgt. Allen Brandt lost the fight."
Brandt had been responding to a report of shots fired in downtown Fairbanks after midnight on Oct. 16 when he approached a pedestrian who dashed in front of the police car holding a gun and opened fire.
Brandt attempted to open the police car door for protection from the gunfire, but was struck in the legs five times as well as once in the chest.
He was well enough to speak at a Fairbanks City Council meeting on Monday where he explained from the shot to his chest ricocheted off his bullet proof vest and became lodged in his eye.
"Can you believe I was shot five times in the legs and I walked into this room," Brant said to the crowd, according to CNN.
Brandt is survived by his wife and four children, who he told he believed he would be shot the night of the shooting.
"The night that I was shot I had my four kids and my wife on my bed and I read them a story, like I do," . "After the story I told them 'I think I'm going to get shot tonight.' And in the middle of a gun battle that's all I could think about."
Fairbanks District Attorney Gregg Olson announced he would consider upgrading or adding charges to the suspected shooter, 29-year-old Anthony George Jenkins-Alexie, who was charged with attempted murder, assault, vehicle theft, firearm theft and tampering with physical evidence.
Johnson said Jenkins-Alexie had made previous threats against officers but did not believe his actions presented an ongoing threat.

"After interviewing him and based on his own admissions and significant corroborating evidence. I can assure the community that he acted alone and that there is no continuing threat to my fellow police officers or citizens," he said.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Post Bottom Ad